[Dixielandjazz] slightly OT: Music and Food Fest goes horribly wrong...

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Mon Jun 15 14:55:48 PDT 2009

I am posting this because it is the sort of festival some OKOM bands
might get asked to play - a cautionary tale!

This last Saturday they had a "Great American Food & Music Fest" at
Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View CA - so many things went wrong
it has become the biggest topic on some local food blogs ever! The
music part featured  Little Feat, Marshall Crenshaw, and Big Bad
Voodoo Daddy, but there were so many technical and logistic failures,
oversold audience and poor executive decisions it will be hard for
them to ever try this again.

http://sfist.com/2009/06/15/great_american_food_and_music_fest.php and
http://blogs.menupages.com/sanfrancisco/2009/06/hurry_up_and_wait_at_the_great_american_food_and_music_fest.html
( http://tinyurl.com/lxfkdd )
have the basic story.

the "official" apology: http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/06/the-fest-4-hours-of-the-best-intentions-gone.html#318672
( http://tinyurl.com/l9we33 )

be sure to read the comments.

I played at every New Orleans by the Bay Festival in the same venue -
they were popular and pretty well run (for the most part) by Bill
Graham Productions (BGP) and they mixed music and Louisiana cooking -
not as big as JazzFest.  This new festival was under different
management.

BTW, I didn't go to it - had a different event that went much better ;-)

Dave RIchoux

Dave RIchoux