[Dixielandjazz] Fw: CD audio query.

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Mon Jun 15 02:14:07 PDT 2009

Pat Ladd wrote on 12/06/2009 18:53:56:

> copy protected disc>>
>
> It has been suggested to me that if you run a line from your `analogue
out`
> to the `analogue in` of the machine you are trying to record onto this
> bypasses the anti copy stuff which is digital.
>
> Sounds too simple to be true to me  cos I know nossing, but the guy who
told
> me is a bit of a whizz

Yes, this works no problem. It's just like recording the output of
your Hi-Fi with a cassette recorder.

As others have mentioned, you do loose some quality converting from
digital to analogue and back again and you get what you hear. So
any clicks and pops will be recorded.

The other problem is speed. You can only record in "real-time" So
if the CD is an hour long it will take an hour to record (without
fancy stuff to speed things up). Whereas if you can copy the CD
digitally you can do it much faster. Speeds around 5 minutes for
a 1 hour CD are quite normal.

There was a system a while back to try and stop people doing this
sort of thing with video tapes. The original would have high
output spikes put in the hidden bit of the video. This would
fool the automatic bit of the recorder and get it to turn
the record level down. This made it record the video at too
low a level to be viewable.

I'm not aware of anything like this for audio though.

Regards

Andy Ling

--

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.