[Dixielandjazz] Upcoming Elkhart Jazz Festival. (Verbosely speaking)

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Fri Jun 12 00:39:18 PDT 2009

I have been away for a few weeks so if someone else on the DJML has
posted the following artists list for the upcoming Elkhart Jazz Festival
in Elkhart, Ind on June 26-28 you may feel free to delete this email.
Otherwise there may be a few of you in the area, or able to get to this
festival that may not have seen the full list as given in the latest
American Rag or on their web site. of the invited musicians and bands.

This festival treats the musicians well enough that in the many years I
have attended the number of no show musicians for other then
transportation glitches is almost nil. There have been some scheduling
SNAFU's but they are now at a minimum also.  The sound is done by
professionals who actually seem to know what they are doing with
"acoustic" music. :-)

As to be expected with the return of the original music director there
are now a number of names in addition to our usual OKOM musicians that I
do not  recognize. This used to be  at least half the fun of going to
the Elkhart Festival. You never really knew what to expect, but almost
without exception it worked!  I heard excellent musicians I had never
heard before, and probably will never hear again. Most festival
remaining today seem to be locked in on the same musicians list..

On piano.
Johnny Varro.
John Sheridan.
Mary Green,
Joan Reynolds
Rossano Sportiello
Don Stille.

The brass
Bill and John Allred,
Dan Barrett,
Tom Bartlett,
Art Davis,
Lew Green,
Art Hoyle.,
Jon-Erick Kellso,
Russ Phillips,
Randy Rinehart,
Randy Sandke,
Warren Vache.

On guitar, and maybe banjo are
Howard Alden,
Joe Cohn,
Eddie Erickson,
Marty Grosz,
Jack Meilain,
Bucky Pizzarelli
Ken Salvo.

Bass are
John Bany,
Joel Forbes,
Steve Ley,
Frank Tate
Darrel Tidaback.

Reeds are
Harry Allen,
Dave Bennett,
Dan Block,
Tim Cunningham,
Kim Cusack,
Vince Giordano,
Jeff Green,
Pat Mallingar,
 Ken Peplowski
Allan Vache.

Drums  are
Joe Ascione,
Charlie Braugham,
Wayne Jones,
Arnie Kinsella,
Ed Metz, Jr,
Butch Miles
Chuck Riggs.

Vocals, Tom Bartlett, Dave Bennet, Eddie Erickson, Marty Grosz, Rebecca
Kilgore and Warren Vache!

Groups invited are
The Airmen of Note,
Harry Allen Quartet,
Bill Allred's Classic Jazz Band,
BED,
Dave Bennett Quartet,
Tim Cunningham and his group,
East Hubbard Street Jazz Band,
Jeff Green's International Jazz & Ragtime All Stars,
Red Rose Ragtime Jazz Band,
John Sheridan's Dream Band,
Truth in Jazz (local),
Vibernation (local)