[Dixielandjazz] Mandy Make up Your Mind

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jun 9 14:06:21 PDT 2009

Hi Dick et al,

Dick's comparison of measures 1 - 8 and 25 - 28 throws up some interesting variations, all in the key of F. As I stated in an earlier mail in this thread, my band plays it in Eb, but I've transposed the changes we use to F to aid comparison:

On the head, solos and out chorus we use:
Measures 1 - 8:
I F / Bb7 / I F / Bb7 / I Am7(b5) / / / I D7 / / / I G7 / Dm7 / I G7 / Dm7 / I G7 / / / I G7 / / / I
Measures 25 - 28:
I A7 / Dm7 / I Edim / D7 / I G7 / / / I G7 / / / I

For an arranged reed passage, we use this variant of 1 - 8, which provides a nice harmonic contrast:
 I F / Ddim / I F / Ddim / I Am7b5 / / / I D7 / / / I G7 / Dm7 / I G7 / Dm7 / I G7 / / / I G7 / / / I
In measures 8 and 9 of this chorus we use I C7 / Adim / I C7 / Adim / I, which prolongs and reinforces the
harmonic alteration set up in bars 1 and 2 of the reed passage.
For bars 25 - 28 of this chorus we use I A7 / Dm7 / I Em7b5 / D7 / I G7 / / / I G7 / / / I

The harmonic differences in the reed passage aren't that great, but they produce a different colour and, crucially, allow voice leading to follow an entirely different path, so the passage comes up sounding very fresh. The idea for the use of the diminished chords came originally from a pianist friend of mine, John Cairns, brother of clarinettist Forrie Cairns. Forrie moved back to Scotland from Switzerland a few years back and is still playing like a champion, but John is sadly long gone.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk