[Dixielandjazz] CD audio query.

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Tue Jun 9 02:06:57 PDT 2009

M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote on 09/06/2009 03:51:31:

> For approx the second time in my life, I've encountered a CD that
> exhibits digital "crackling" at the exact same point, on more than one
> player in my home.

As mentioned by others, CDs are not infallible. They do have errors
from the start and can gain more errors over the years (the foil
used as the reflective bit can "grow" holes)

There are ways of dealing with these errors and CD players
can do it differently. So some can play a CD that others can't.

Also the "quality" of the reading system, (laser lens etc.) can
vary so giving different results.

> I get a replacement, and the same thing occurs.

The fact that a replacement CD gives the same error suggests it
is a "manufacturing" problem.

> (recent Stomp Off CDs are anti-copy encoded, it seems)

I've not seen the Stomp Off protection, but this may be useful.

Most copy protection is based on "multisession". Audio CD
players are dumb, so for the CD to play it must have
a simple audio "session" This must be the first session.

Because people want to be able to add to their recordable
CDs a system was invented that lets you add more sessions.
Computer CD players are designed to look for the newest session.
So on protected CDs a later session is added that says everything
has been deleted. It hasn't really that's just what you're computer
has been told.

Audio CD players ignore this second session and so see everything.

Most CD writing software has facilities to examine a CD
and let you choose which session you want to read. Nero seems
to do it automatically. It spots the first session is audio
and uses that by default.

So have a look through the options in whatever you use to copy CDs.
If it doesn't have anything, then there are lots of very good
free packages available for download.

In general copy protection never stops the determined hacker
and causes hassle to the legitimate user. Remember the Sony
debacle a few years ago.

Have fun

Andy Ling

--

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.