[Dixielandjazz] Art Hickman, Banti's disease.

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 8 23:42:33 PDT 2009

Dear Bob and Steve,
Sorry about the delay.
We went to see the film "State Of Play" this morning and stopped out
for lunch.
Dr Fred Spencer, our DJMLer friend and lurker, makes specific
reference to Art Hickman in his fine book 'Jazz and Death' (2000.
University of Mississippi).
On page 121 he writes:
The suggestion that Art Hickman (1896-1930), the pioneer dance-band
leader, had "symptoms not unlike those of advanced alcoholism" is
misleading. [This was mentioned in an early Red Hot Jazz Archive
entry, but now deleted.] His death certificate reveals that he died
from "Shock & further loss blood from operation for Banti's disease
with hemorrhages & splenomegaly–duration 5 years" and "Contributory
hemorrhages." Banti's disease affects the spleen and liver, with
anemia, abdominal fluid (ascites), and a tendency to bleed from the
stomach and elsewhere in the body. Treatment in 1930 was to remove the
spleen, often with a lethal outcome.
Which prompts a question.
Has anyone heard from Fred Spencer lately?
I was in contact with him off-list on a regular basis (we swapped jazz
books) for many years but we lost email/snail mail contact late last
year.
Very kind regards,
Bill.

PS: For those interested in Art Hickman's records, the very first ones
from 1919-1921 have been reissued on two Archeophone CDs, 6003 & 6005.
Currently available from both Venerable Music and Worlds Records.
Although not shown on listmate Jazz Jerry Brown's site, he has access
to Archeophone and can probably organise a copies.