[Dixielandjazz] Early Jazz in New Orleans

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jun 8 00:18:09 PDT 2009

Hi Anton
               I have sent by another email a copy of the actual
CESmith article on the Bolden Cylinder. I got this from the Tulane
Archive when I was there in in 1997.
                  There are 2 articles by Wm Schafer about the ODJB
in the March and April 2007 issues of Mississippi Rag that are of
great interest. You can get them off the Rag's website.
                 I agree with Charlie Suhor’s sentimental desire to
hear the music of early jazz. However it is clear that is not likely.
Failing that, I believe the nearest thing to original jazz on record
are the 1923 recordings of Armand Piron’s Orchestra made around the
same time as the King Oliver Creole Jazz band first recorded. You
have to try to  ignore the saxophones, piano and banjo etc.
              In the meantime list members might like to look at and
listen to the work I have been doing here with the Buddy Bolden
Revival Orchestra since late 2004.
            We have made a serious attempt to apply what is known
about Elemental Jazz in concert performances with authentic
instrumentation, repertoire and performance practices. Its not like
what you might  expect to hear. Audiences are always surpised by the
leading role of the violin.
            Recently there have been a CD and DVD released, drawn
from concert recordings. The story of the formation of the group and
the basis of our research was summarised in The Birth of Jazz:
Reviving the Music of the Bolden Era
             Information about the experiment and the recordings is
available at:
                                http://members.ozemail.com.au/
~darnhard/Bolden-orchestra.html

best wishes