[Dixielandjazz] The River Boat Five on a Swinging Date

jazzdude39 jazzdude39 at att.net
Sun Jun 7 19:55:20 PDT 2009

Don,

I was with a band traveling from Atlanta to Talladega, AL yesterday and we
were talking about the Riverboat Five Album, at least the first one. Wray
Thomas, Ed Tedder, "Peanuts" Fitch and Keller Merck were known to all of us
and stories abound about these guys as they were prominent players in the
Atlanta area for years. All have since passed away, but one interesting
story is about Ed Tedder.He was playing Tuba on that recording, and he
hadn't played tuba in about 20 years, practiced one afternoon and virtually
went in cold and cut the tunes like he had been at it all his life. Ed told
me about that recording and how much they were consuming, but they pulled it
off. Ed was a reed player, pianist, arraigner, had perfect pitch and at
times a bit difficult to get along with , but we all liked him, worked with
him and all these guys often.I miss them all.

Dave Hanson
Trombone
Atlanta