[Dixielandjazz] KENNY DAVERN, Evan C & Albert &c

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 6 14:27:03 PDT 2009

Fond and amusing memory of Evan Christopher, after he had given his Bechet lecture-recital and was sitting while another member of the band soloed  . .  and into the venue in George Square, Edinburgh, steps Kenny Davern  ...
Ostentatious signs of panic on the Christopher face, and mock hustle to hide the soprano saxophone he had been playing very well using the elements of Bechet in his playing. Kenny was much amused, the eyes twinkled and the 'tache crinkled with the upward smiling movement of the mouth.
During the later part of the gig Evan C's sound switched through very like Albert Nicholas, as I remarked to one of the veteran listeners, before fizzing up into Ed/ Herb Hall.

Kenny at his peak some twenty years ago seemed to tune his playing toward where he could perform  frighteningly high-register passages -- I may or may not have a cassette of a BBC broadcast where there was some stratospheric stuff. Nothing like it, and in no sense either sheer display or sheer idiosyncrasy  . . .  perfectly musical inspiration.

This may have been a gig with John Barnes, wonderful stuff! After a few choruses orbiting above the then I suppose not so numerous satellites the triumph was sealed with an ascenda.
And now, said Kenny, if you look around you will find a fine white powder covering everything: my teeth.