[Dixielandjazz] MISTERY TRIO

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 3 22:47:06 PDT 2009

Tito Martino asked [in part]:
> A friend gave me a copy of a cassete tape he found somewhere, but no
> names,
> no titles.......a very fine clarinet player, neworleanian.....a
> stomping stride pianist, and a powerful high class drummer.
> The tunes are, as I could identify:
> WILLIE THE WEEPER
> SOMETIMES I'M HAPPY
> BLUE SKYES
> NEW ORLEANS
> PUTTIN' ON THE RITZ.

Dear Tito,
Could it be listmate John Petters' cassette Jazz JC 001 later released
on Jazzology CD (JCD-197) as 'Playing For Kicks' by the Kenny Davern
Big Three:
Kenny Davern (cl) Martin Litton (p) John Petters (d)
Recorded in London, November 24, 1985
     You're lucky to me
     Wolverine blues (kd out)
     Drop me off in Harlem (kd out)
     Black and blue
     Willie the weeper
     Bye bye blues
     Sometimes I'm happy
     New Orleans
     Lullaby of the leaves
     Black beauty (kd out)
     Dinah

It certainly matches your description. The titles "Blue Skies" and
"Puttin' On The Ritz" may be on the cassette, but were left off the CD.
I will also post this reply direct to our mate, John Petters, for
comment.
Very kind regards,
Bill