[Dixielandjazz] Ma Rainey

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Mon Jul 27 18:18:16 UTC 2009

Here's part of an E-mail I sent to Anton Crouch, regarding the possibility
of a saxophone on Ma Rainey's "See See Rider":

I've just listened to the London AL3501 dub of "See See Blues". The
first thing that struck me was that the sleeve calls the tune "See See
Rider" but the label says "See See Rider Blues" - something I've never
noticed in the fifty-odd years I've owned the record.
I can't hear a saxophone at all, but, maybe due to the recording method,
Charlie Green's
trombone sounds not unlike a saxophone when he plays without a mute, or he
might be using a Harmon mute without the plunger. Trombonists often do this
to double for woodwind orchestral parts because this mute takes away the
"brassiness" of the open trombone tone.

Cheers

Bob Smith