[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 79, Issue 36

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 27 04:44:21 UTC 2009

>  dwlit at cpcug.org (Sheik) wrote
>
> Can any of our NOLA members provide information on Danny Barker's
> gig life?
> I believe he played 6-string banjo around the city during his latter
> years.

Hey Sheik:

I'm not from NOLA, but I can tell you that Danny Barker gigged in NYC
from about 1950 to the early 1960s.

He gigged with Conrad Janis there, and then with Wilbur DeParis at
Jimmy Ryan's and then led his own band at Ryan's before he moved back
to NOLA around 1964 or so.

I saw him a lot at Ryan's during those years and he was playing banjo,
but I have no idea how many strings it had.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband