[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee (Last Time)

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 25 03:29:07 UTC 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 10:48 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>> To see Peggy Lee do "See See Rider" (at Basin Street East)  go to:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Kyk4hj_RUc
>> It is, IMO, a stunning performance. I saw Peggy Lee 3 times at
>> Basin Street East in NYC from 1960 to 1962 or so. It was a sublime
>> experience each time.
>
> Dear Steve,
> Mmmmmmm.
> As much as like Peggy Lee as a performer, this song is not for her.
> For me the definitive version was recorded by Ma Rainey in October
> 1924, accompanied by a contingent from the Fletcher Henderson
> orchestra, and including a young Louis Armstrong.
> Kind regards,
> One-eyed Bill.
>
> http://www.redhotjazz.com/georgiajazzband.html

Dear Bill:

Different strokes for different folks. I much prefer Peggy Lee. Then
again, I'm a "romantic" jazz musician. For me, Ms.Lee defines romance.
I'm thinking vocalist Barb Jordan agrees.  <grin>

Then again, I prefer Count Basie to Fletcher Henderson also. <grin>
<grin>

Cheers,
Steve
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband