[Dixielandjazz] John Petters and Swing Dancers.

Phil Wilking philwilking at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 20 08:04:31 UTC 2009

Another thing to notice is tempo.

If there are dancers and they are moving easily to the music, then that is
the correct tempo at that time, no matter that you may think it is too slow
or too fast. They will move, they will have fun, they will get thirsty and
buy more beer, and the club owner will be happy that the band has increased
sales.

I go 'round and 'round with a trombone player and a drummer who want to play
every tune so fast you can't hear the nuances, and you certainly can't dance
to it. But really, who is paying the freight and should be pleased - the
band on the stand or the customers on the floor?

I grant such thinking does not apply when you are in a concert situation and
the audience obviously believes that faster and louder equals better and
better.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.