[Dixielandjazz] "Kind of Blue" was 1959 etc.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 20 04:28:01 UTC 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 7:12 PM, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> Stephen Barbone wrote
>
>> We may say that the buyers don't know anything about jazz etc., or
>> that Miles was not a jazz musician, or that the record sucks, but
>> it's  sales speak for themselves.
>
> I take that to mean that the high sales prove that Miles Davis was a
> jazz musician and the record doesn't suck.

No, what you quote out of context above doesn't mean that at all. It
means simply that "Kind of Blue" sales speak for themselves. In the
rest of my post, I also said that according to the statisticians,
"Kind of Blue" is the "best selling jazz album of all time".

> Does that mean that all albums with high sales are ipso facto jazz
> records?? Like Victor Sylvester or Sammy Kaye or Tiny Tim?

Of course not. It means only that its sales speak for themselves.
Victor, Sammy and Tiny, are neither acknowledged as jazz musicians,
nor for recording jazz albums.

> I remember one (real) jazz gig in our beautiful Blue Mountains where
> a raffle was held - the prize was a CD by Miles Davis. I stood up
> and asked "Is the second prize two CDs by Miles Davis?"

Heh, heh. I can dig it. But if Miles is not a jazz musician, or his
music sucks, why would the presenters at a "real" jazz gig offer one
of his CDs as a first prize? Why would they think that "real" jazz
fans would buy raffle tickets?

As I said in my original post, "We DJMLers may not agree, but it is
what it is regarding the rest of the jazz world."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband