[Dixielandjazz] "Kind of Blue" was 1959 etc.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 19 20:33:17 UTC 2009

Just my 2 cents, but "Kind of Blue" is often cited by those who keep
such statistics as the "best selling jazz album of all time".

We may say that the buyers don't know anything about jazz etc., or
that Miles was not a jazz musician, or that the record sucks, but it's
sales speak for themselves.

If one were to Google Search "Kind of Blue", I suspect that one would
find all kinds of accolades about its importance to and enormous
influence upon, jazz. Like Louis Armstrong before him, Miles changed
the way jazz was played. Unlike Louis, and perhaps more like Ellington
did with his music, Miles changed it many times during his career.

We DJMLers may not agree, but it is what it is regarding the rest of
the jazz world.

IMO, the writer was justified in his comment which simply stated
"perhaps"

To get a sense of what some jazz musicians say about "Kind of Blue" see:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBpLKm8vw4M

Read the comments below the video also.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone