[Dixielandjazz] Re. Dixieland and the Mickey Mouse Club - "Tiger Rag"

Nancy Doran Giffin nancyink at surewest.net
Sat Jul 18 02:20:31 UTC 2009

> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:51:36 -0400
> From: Stephen G Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Dixieland and the Mickey Mouse Club

> Here are two youtubes of the Firehouse Five Plus Two playing
> some "functional" Dixieland, for the youngsters on a Mickey
> Mouse Club show years ago. This is a fine example of making
> the music relevant to kids. No "art music" here, just plain
> old excitement and joy imparted to the audience...

Thanks, Steve.
I wonder if those kids had one day to learn that dance???

NOW fast-forward to 2008 where the same tune is still as energetic and relevant (albeit not played as well as FH5) on the streets of New Orleans. A very receptive crowd enjoys listening to the band LOOSE MARBLES as a young couples dances with fervor, and we get to see that the song is suitable for a woman to whirl 10-15 Hula-Hoops in time with the music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-Q9zoh7LQ
On trumpet or cornet is Ben Polcer, son of NY cornetist Ed Polcer. Not sure of who else is in the clip, but I know that Jason Jurzak of Blue Street has been known to play bass/tuba with this band.