[Dixielandjazz] Nashville Notation Question

Ric Giorgi ricgiorgi at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 17 14:51:24 UTC 2009

If anyone in this great group is fluent in the Nashville Notation System,
could you please contact me off list or if you think this is on-topic enough
to carry on, on list, I have a question in regard to how Nashville notation
works.

In Nashville Notation is the numbering of the chords from 1 to 7 based only
on the key signature itself regardless of whether it's a major or minor key?
Or is it the key what determines the numbering sequence (i.e. if a tune is
in Gm (key signature is the same as Bb = 2 flats, will a C minor chord be
written as 2m or 4m?)?

Many thanks in advance for any help with this,

Ric Giorgi