[Dixielandjazz] Straight Ahead Jazz

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 16 20:13:16 UTC 2009

This response from Steve Barbone--(as to what is straight ahead jazz)--

"I think it means different things to different people and is therefore
hard to pin down exactly. Among my jazz musician friends here in the
Philadelphia area it means; post swing jazz (around 1940 and later)
that is conventional in style and not complicated by the huge extended
chords or rhythms of bop, fusion, avant garde, free jazz, smooth jazz
etc. Nor is it Dixieland."

Thanks for the succinct definition.  Another way of saying it might be--
continuing the steady evolution of the genre without radical changes.
There is also "straight ahead Bluegrass" music that fits that definition
Probably can be applied to most current art forms..

Ken Gates