[Dixielandjazz] Straight Ahead jazz style definition

Ken Gates kwg28 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 14 20:18:47 UTC 2009

Listmates---
The term "straight ahead" is used in various ways to describe jazz style.
These are just two of what must be more than a few possibilities of use
and misuse of the term.  I'm interested in how the sages of this group
might use the term.

1) Straight Ahead's name comes from a phrase used to describe pure swing jazz,
Orr said. She also said the name encompasses the group's ability to grow.

2) I would define it as "jazz" after about 1947, bebop and forward, excluding Fusion,
Free Jazz and Retro-Swing/ Ska. Here is a link from allmusic listing all the subsets of jazz: