[Dixielandjazz] By Ned, we invented the genre

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 11 12:32:44 PDT 2009

What a fun thread, and now one is flaming. That wonderful in itself.

Here are a few "American" ideas in support of Dave G.

When jazz was first played here in the USA, the jazz musicians were
fully concentrating on being jazz musicians. It became a lifestyle, if
you will, not just playing the notes. There was a certain hepness (or
hipness in today speak) that tied the cats together and differentiated
them from the squares.

Nowadays, IMO, throughout the world, that hepness no longer exists
among most Dixieland (all inclusive definition) jazz musicians. Being
a Dixieland jazz musician is no longer the "lifestyle" it was. That's
one possible reason the music is not as exciting now, as it was then.
There are more part timers now who think that playing the notes,
equates to exciting jazz. There is less boozing, less pot smoking,
less liberal lifestyle etc., among the musos. I think too, that many
of the remaining fans and old fart bands are further to the right than
Atilla The Hun. They look down on such things as wine, women, pot and
both lifestyle and musical freedom. And that rigidity affects their
musical output.

So when some of us say that American Bands play Dixieland better we
are injecting another dimension, besides musicianship, that of life
experiences and cultural differences.

And within the various styles, I do indeed think that musicians from
New Orleans (neighborhoods) played better New Orleans Jazz (style)
than musicians from other parts of the USA and/or world.

And then there is the subject of how different people in different
parts of the world hear jazz, and/or music. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband