[Dixielandjazz] By Ned, we invented the genre:

Bill McCloskey mccloskey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 06:39:01 PDT 2009

This kind of argument is a slippery slope. I mean are you really going to
make the argument that Alex Welsh does not play with the heart and spirit of
the music? That would be difficult in my eyes. I think the point is that
today's musicians are as far removed from the culture that became the
breeding ground for jazz to make any claim of authenticity or  owning the
spirit of the music difficult to justify. I'm blessed in that I live in New
York and am a few blocks walk to hearing Jon Kelso every sunday night at the
Ear Inn and Randy Reinhart at Authur's Tavern on monday nights. I never once
think that they are good because they are americans. They are good because
they are talented, worked hard, and dedicated themselves to the music, some
thing in the reach of any musician no matter where he is from.

Bill