[Dixielandjazz] Americans invented it - was Great Tuba Players

john petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 10 16:11:21 PDT 2009

David Gannett wrote:
> First off, neighbor, there won't EVER be another Louie!!!  It's a senseless endeavor to try to play like him, because he was playing like HIMSELF and no other (well, maybe with a touch of King Oliver thrown in).
I didn't say play like him I said 'equal'. With due respect to all the
great players you cite, I don't think there are any 'equal' to Louis or
Bechet who between them wrote the book.
I think we are all, to a certain extent, living in a post jazz age, but
those that choose to play traditional styles of jazz are to a degree, in
rep.
I do think the 'best' recordings were from the 20s, 30s and 40s when
that generation were in their prime. Find a record of the Condon Mob in
the 50s that is as Hot as the Davison / Brunies Commodore of 'Thats A
Plenty'.

When I worked with Wild Bill he was 83 and still great - but he was not
the Wild Bill that Steve heard at Condons.

Yank Lawson was, however in his 70s, still a powerful player. I know I
was there playing with him. Poor Billy Butterfield on the other hand
should not have made his final tour to the UK 'cos he could no longer play.
Kenny Davern was a presence - where are your current hot players like
Kenny? You have some fine reedmen, but Kenny was hot!

We have James Evans and if you don't believe me look here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-GVyK2X8WU

James is a young player who thinks outside the box and is always
exciting - but I'm sure he would not claim to be an innovator. He is,
like all of us, an interpretor although he composes stuff that is fresh
and new and stylistically different from what we woukd call traditional
jazz.
Cheers
--
John Petters