[Dixielandjazz] Americans invented it - was Great Tuba Players

David Gannett evidence at otelco.net
Fri Jul 10 15:44:56 PDT 2009

First off, neighbor, there won't EVER be another Louie!!!  It's a senseless endeavor to try to play like him, because he was playing like HIMSELF and no other (well, maybe with a touch of King Oliver thrown in).

There are, however, some MAGNIFICENT cornet/trumpet players today (see post by Barbone), who, instead of playing a bunch of high notes or fast notes, play their soul through the horn.  I can't help but think of Louie listening to someone like Davy Jones, Randy Sandke or Jon Erik, shaking his big ol' head and saying, "Yeah Gate!"

For those of you interested, I will soon be releasing the Magic of Rich Matteson, where he tells the story of recording and playing with Louie on the Louie and The Dukes album - really a great tale.

His Omnipotent Cerebral Phosphorescence
Mr. B