[Dixielandjazz] bass(tuba) line for slow tunes

dwlit at cpcug.org dwlit at cpcug.org
Thu Jul 9 08:40:04 PDT 2009

What do you guys recommend for 2-beat tunes when you're playing basically
1-3? By this I mean "square" 2-beat at various tempos, from Polkas old
foxtrots.

I like some slow foxtrots to have what I call a "lilting", ie. slightly
syncopated feel. It makes oldsters sway their shoulders and the best
dancers really whoop it up; it gives them, and the rhythm section, a bit
of space.

I have a hard time explaining to tubists, and for that matter drummers,
what I want.

Sheik