[Dixielandjazz] Mel Brooks (was Ealing Comedies of the 1950s)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 4 16:29:11 PDT 2009

rahberry at comcast.net wrote regarding Mel Brooks' "Sweet Georgia Brown"

> Here's the clip in Polish. Very funny.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3JLZQk6RWY

Dear Rae Ann,
You never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of 'wot's on
YouTube' (apart from you own contributions to it).
I suppose Mel Brooks was able to do the Polish thing because of his
background:

"Brooks was born Melvin Kaminsky in Brooklyn, New York, the son of
Kate (née Brookman), a garment worker, and Maximilian Kaminsky, a
process server. Brooks and his family are Jewish; his maternal
grandparents emigrated from outside Kiev and his paternal family was
from Danzig in the German Empire."

I await Marek's comment regarding the "SGB" translation with interest.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: As a matter of not much interest, my stepfather's forebears (the
Haeslers) came to Australia from Prussia in 1853.