[Dixielandjazz] ODJB on Columbia

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat Jan 31 17:15:13 PST 2009

Hello all

On the matter of the date of the ODJB's Columbia recordings in 1917
Steve B asks > Remember our discussion of this?

Ah, yes - do I ever  :-) It went on for some time.

We can take it as established that the ODJB's coupling of "The darktown
strutter's ball" and "Indiana" on Columbia A-2297 was recorded on 31 May
1917, ie some 3 months after the "first jazz record" by the ODJB, for
Victor, on 26 February 1917.

What is not clear is what happened when the ODJB visited the Columbia
studios on or about 24 January 1917. There are at least 3 possibilities, viz

1. They played for the Columbia people but recorded nothing.
2. They made trial recordings of TDSB and Indiana.
3. They recorded 1 or 2 takes of TDSB and 1 take of Indiana, none of
which were issued.

Possibilities 2 and 3 are not mutually exclusive.

My opinion is that 1 occurred. The story of how workmen in the studio
laughed and beat time with their tools while the band played is
generally accepted - inconceivable behaviour if any sort of recording
was being made.

Trial recordings were given matrix numbers in the range 60000 to 64000.
Discographers have been through the files for these matrices with the
proverbial fine-toothed comb and nothing by the ODJB has turned up.
There are some interesting entries - Carl Fenton in 1916, Arthur Green
(as Arthur Stone) in March 1917, Noble Sissle, Earl Fuller and the
Frisco Jazz Band in May 1917. But no ODJB.

The issued material on Columbia A-2297 has principal matrix numbers
77086 and 77087. The 77000 series of matrix numbers was first used on 20
April 1917.

More than you wanted to know, but - there it is.

All the best,
Anton