[Dixielandjazz] Shim-Me-Sha-Wobble - Redux

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jan 30 14:31:19 PST 2009

[Everyone, please note: The correct title for this song is "Shim-Me-
Sha-WAbble".]
Stephen G Barbone commented, then quoted:

> BTW: It was played in the Movie "Cinderella Man", released in 2005
> or so, starring Russell Crowe, about the life of Boxer James J.
> Braddock. The DVD is now available. The music in the film score is
> described below. No doubt Bill Haesler can provide more info about
> the score:

> ABOUT THE MUSIC
> With Cinderella Man, Thomas Newman seamlessly incorporates authentic
> popular melodies from the Great Depression era with an orchestral
> score that recalls the hopeless, yet optimistic mood of that time in
> America. For instance, two vintage tracks from the 1930’s “Shim-Me-
> Sha-Wobble” and “Tillie’s Downtown Now” are upbeat and ring of
> possibility, while “Change of Fortune” echoes the helpless feeling
> of a broken man who has hit rock bottom. Providing a touch of
> whimsy, actor Paul Giamatti is briefly featured whistling
> “Londonderry Air” on the album. The tune was lifted straight from
> the film during the quiet moments before Braddock’s championship
> fight. Newman’s score sets the mood perfectly, giving the listener a
> sense of how the story evolves through this affecting music. Note by
> note the music complements the film beautifully and will speak to
> everyone's desire to overcome the obstacles life has to offer.

OK Steve,
I certainly liked that film, and not just because it featured the OZ
movie star (born and schooled in New Zealand), Russell Crowe.
And I certainly recall being knocked out by the music selection.
Anyway, this is all I have (at the moment) regarding the music on the
soundtrack:
"Shim-Me-Sha-Wabble" (Spencer Williams Jr) played by Miff Mole And His
Molers (recorded for Okeh on 6 July 1928).
"Tillie's Downtown Now" (Lawrence Freeman) played by Bud Freeman and
His Windy City Five (recorded for Parlophone on 4 Dec 1935).
"Cheer Up, Smile, Nertz" (Norman Anthony-Misha Portnoff-Wesley
Portnoff) sung by Eddie Cantor (1931?). I'll need more time for this
one.
"(We've Gotta) Put That Sun Back In The Sky" (Irving Kahal-Joseph
Meyer) played by The Pennsylvanians [Sam Lanin Orch]. Ditto.
"Happy Birthday To You" (Mildred J. Hill).
"Someday Sweetheart" (John Spikes-Benjamin Spikes). No details.
"Don't Be That Way" (Mitchell Parish-Edgar Sampson) played by Benny
Goodman and his Orchestra (recorded for Victor on 16 Feb 1938).
"Change Of Fortune". No details.
My dear Oz colleague, Anton Crouch, will have more information on his
comprehensive database.
Kind regards,
Bill.