[Dixielandjazz] Shim-Me-Sha-Wobble - Redux

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 30 12:59:58 PST 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 3:00 PM, dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com
wrote:

>  "PHIL WILKING" <philwilking at bellsouth.net>
>
> All the discussion of this tune led me to go to the Tulane University
> William Ransom Hogan Jazz Archive on Thursday and photocopy the 1916
> Spencer Williams piano solo.
>
> It is 3 pages and I can send them to anyone who asks for them.
>
> The piano music has two C minor sections and a C minor Trio which
> leads to a C major final section.

Following up on Phil's post that the original song seems to be in Cm
and C major, Here are what I think are the correct chords, from the
original, or otherwise early sheet music,

VAMP, 8 measures in Cm
Cm-G7 / Repeat for a total of 8 Measures.

A SECTION 16 Measures in Cm

4 Cm / 2Cm / D7 / G7 / 4Cm / Fm - (Fm-R) / Cm-(Cm-R) / G7 / Cm-(Cm-R) /

B SECTION 8 Measures - still in Cm as previously pointed out by others.

Fm / G7 - (G7-R) / Fm /  G7- (G7-R) / Fm / Cm / Fm / G7 /

C SECTION 16 Measures in C Major

C / G7 / C / G7 / C  / Em / B7 / Em-G7 / C / G7 / C / G7 / C-C7 / F-
Fm / G7 / C /

To decode /Em-G7/  that is Em for 2 beats and G7 for 2 beats.

To decode / F-(Fm-R) / that is F for 2 beats, Fm on beat 3 and a Rest
on beat 4.

To decode 4 Cm that is 4 measures of Cm chords, 2 Cm is 2 measures etc.

BTW: It was played in the Movie "Cinderella Man", released in 2005 or
so, starring Russell Crowe, about the life of Boxer James J. Braddock.
The DVD is now available. The music in the film score is described
below. No doubt Bill Haesler can provide more info about the score:

ABOUT THE MUSIC
With Cinderella Man, Thomas Newman seamlessly incorporates authentic
popular melodies from the Great Depression era with an orchestral
score that recalls the hopeless, yet optimistic mood of that time in
America. For instance, two vintage tracks from the 1930’s “Shim-Me-Sha-
Wobble” and “Tillie’s Downtown Now” are upbeat and ring of
possibility, while “Change of Fortune” echoes the helpless feeling of
a broken man who has hit rock bottom. Providing a touch of whimsy,
actor Paul Giamatti is briefly featured whistling “Londonderry Air” on
the album. The tune was lifted straight from the film during the quiet
moments before Braddock’s championship fight. Newman’s score sets the
mood perfectly, giving the listener a sense of how the story evolves
through this affecting music. Note by note the music complements the
film beautifully and will speak to everyone's desire to overcome the
obstacles life has to offer.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband