[Dixielandjazz] My Worst Gig Ever

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jan 30 10:10:12 PST 2009

I have played two  gigs that are pretty close to this one.  The first was a
Biloxi MS. Mardi Gras Parade with the AF band.  We were given two sets of
long underwear plus we had on our winter blues and top coats.  That wet
moist air coming off the Gulf ate through all of that and we had to sit
there through the whole parade and froze.  It would have been better if we
had been marching but we were on a float.

About 1960, the worst experience, so far as cold was concerned, was a flight
line honor guard for the Governor of Missouri.  It was January and the
weather was below freezing.  If you have ever been on a flight line you will
have an idea what the wind is like.  We all had top coats but for whatever
reason a couple of the guys didn't bring theirs so to appear uniform we all
had to take off our top coats.  We had knit glove liners which weren't much
help but had to take them off and in any event the clarinet players would
have had to take them off anyway.  The simple thing would have been to not
have the ones without coats play or put them in the back but simple
sometimes is a word used only when describing the military mind.

We stood there and then we stood there some more.........

I was so cold I couldn't feel my hands at all.  The only way that I could
tell I was holding the horn is that the right notes were coming out.  Some
guys were shivering so hard that they could hardly play and everyone was in
a lot of pain after that.  The sad thing is that we never got even a thank
you from the Governor.
Larry
StL