[Dixielandjazz] My Worst Gig Ever

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 05:17:42 PST 2009

Hi Katie,

I, too have been through the needles of pain barrier. Ten years ago early
january 1998. I had been playing with my quartet (cornet/clarinet/sousa and
myself on banjo) for the openings of new branches of a chain of furniture
stores. I was contracted via the head office of the company. The new branch
was in Preston (North of England). The temperature was well below zero. The
fountain in the mall was frozen solid. Our usual practice was to play in the
store, on the move between bedroom, parlour furniture etc.

However, the branch manager was giving a pep talk to the staff when we
arrived an hour before the opening. His motivational speech would have made
Ghengis Kahn or Vlad the Impaler look like pussy cats. "Oh you're the band
head office booked" was his opener, followed by "there's no room for you to
play in my store - you'll be playing outside" I pointed out the weather
conditions to which he replied "Tough!" We started to play outside but after
maybe 30 seconds of agony to my fingers and the rest of the band's lips we
had crossed the pain barrier. Forget tuning just concentrate on the job in
hand!

But, there was a gaurdian angel that day. The electrical store next door in
the Mall took pity on us and we played in their store to a lot nice folks.
The manager from my client company didn't even realise that we weren't
outside his store.

Incidentally, I later learned from the client's head office that the manager
lasted a week!

Best

Louis