[Dixielandjazz] Hambone Kelly's - 1950

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 28 17:34:12 PST 2009

I must stand corrected. It was two cornets, Bob and Lu had not split, until later. Hambones was a building in El Cerrito, and formerly owned by Sally Rand.,  Up a couple of blocks was a Dog Racing Track, operated by Black Jack Jerome. Closed down just before the War.. I think the parking lot was part of the street that went to the Race Track. Used to deliver newspapers in that area in the 1930s

Lizzie Miles sang there for a while, dont recall any other band performing  there.  Lizzie made a mean bunch of "Red Beans and Rice"

Slainte

Ed Coltrin