[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 28 14:15:59 PST 2009

> "Craig I. Johnson" <civanj at roadrunner.com> wrote
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Lino Patruno, Bucky Pizzarelli, Jonathan
> 	Russell
>
> To Steve Barbone
>
> I listened/watched the Lino Patruno rendition of "I'm Crazy 'Bout My
> Baby"
>
> on youtube and you're riht - great group., That led me to some clips
> of
>
> Patruno  + Bucky Pizzarelli - one of my favorite musicians. And then
>
> stumbled on Pizzarelli, John Bunch and Phil Flanigan (NY Swing)
> rendition
>
> of "Caravan" with Jonathan Russell doing the major honors.
>
> Check that one out! he is phenomenal!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgpRM9CR1I
>

> Thanks for the pointers. Patruno is now someone I can keep
>
> looking for.

Hey Craig:

See another "Caravan" with Jonathan, North Carolina Jazz Festival,  at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Yu5nhkv_w&feature=related

But for the Lone Ranger quote, note how differently he solos.  He was
only 11 at the North Carolina Jazz Festival so it predates your
Youtube page by a year.
BTW, the NC Festival includes clarinetist Tom Fischer. I believe he is
playing my old Buffet (circa 1949), that I sent down to New Orleans
after Katrina and about the time his was stolen. That horn has played
alongside Coleman Hawkins, Roy Eldridge, Sidney Bechet and Pee Wee
Erwin, among others, and Tom plays it better than I ever could.

Other Jonathan videos may be found by clicking on the "More from:
Jonathan Jazz" at the right side of the page you mention.

The young man is progressing by leaps and bounds and I can't say
enough about how much of a treat it is for us (Barbone Street)  to
play with him here in the Philadelphia area every year. We've been
getting him paying gigs here for the past 5 years.

I hope more band/festivals will hire him not only because of how much
audiences love him, but also because if we don't, we will lose him to
other genres of jazz, or to other musical activities. His performances
will draw young people to festivals if properly promoted to the local
schools in the area.

He is now actively studying film scoring and composing, which pays a
hell of a lot more than a few jazz gigs. So, lets all get him some
paying gigs so that he'll continue with OKOM.

As much as I hate the word, IMO, the young man is a musical genius.

Cheers
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband