[Dixielandjazz] Shimme-Sha-Wabble

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jan 27 07:56:27 PST 2009

Hi Folks,

I think I've confused myself and the rest of the community in my original post below:

>snip
I'm enquiring about the correct structure for the above. I've got a lead sheet in which the Verse and Interlude are in C minor and the Chorus is in Eb. However, the bassist in my band has a different lead sheet in which the Verse and Interlude are in 3 flats, but the Chorus is in C.

Also, in my lead sheet (in Eb), bars 13 & 14 of the Verse are:   I Eb / Eb7 / I C7 / Abm / I. The change from Eb7 to C7 seems odd.

Can anyone help with the conventional key structure and the chords usually played at bars 13 & 14 of the Verse?

<snip

Where I mentioned bars 13 & 14 of the Verse, I really meant bars 13 & 14 of the Chorus. Duhhh!

Anyway, my thanks to Phil, Jack and Ginny for their input. It looks like the standard key for the verse and interlude parts is Cminor, but the Chorus can be done in either C major or Eb major. For the chart I'm writing, I'll opt for an Eb Chorus and use Ab/ Abm/ in bar 14.

Regards,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk