[Dixielandjazz] Tunes in public domain

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Sat Jan 24 18:45:17 PST 2009

I'll bet that many of you have been down this road before (especially
in this newsletter) and that therefore, as is always the case, there
are several experts out there on the matter - - - -
Here's my question:  "Is that a definitive place where we can find out
exactly which tunes are in public domain?"

When ASCAP is contacted, they  refer the issue on to the Harry Fox
Agency, and they will tell you that a tune like "Alexander's Ragtime
Band"  is copyrighted, even though what they are talking about about is
some particular arrangement of the tune, recorded in the last 20 years
or so.

Fox will definitely NOT give you a straight answer.  They are far too
busy trying to collect all the money that they can lay their hands on.

Because of our litigious society, any Cd company to whom you send in
your recently recorded songs are very cautious, and will not duplicate
anything until you sign documents indicating who has legal property
rights to the tune.

This I can understand when the tunes are in fact covered by copyright
laws, but I think that at least half of the tunes we have recorded are
easily out of copyright.  Where can I found out on my own?

Bill Sharp