[Dixielandjazz] REcorded vs Live Music

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 12:39:55 PST 2009

Thanks Hal!  Bet you were I good teacher.  I understand what you  say.  LOL

The explanation I heard via media and the prerecording of the quartet was
that the decision to pre-record was made the day before when the weather
conditions became clear; that the reason was that the temperature would make it
impossible for the instruments to remain in tune with each other.   That made
sense to me.

When I've played in wind bands in cold temps, part of the expectation was
that the musicians would figure out adjustments/accommodations for lips,
fingers, their particular instruments, listen to those around them and do the  best
they could.  Can't recall playing when it was quite  that cold however.

Ginny

In a message dated 1/24/2009 7:46:59 A.M. Central Standard Time,