[Dixielandjazz] Recorded vs Live Music

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sat Jan 24 09:52:00 PST 2009

I read somewhere yesterday that the Marine Band did NOT use pre-
recorded material. They "toughed it out" like all the other wind bands
in the ceremony & parade. It was not too cold for their instruments
this time... also Aretha Franklin "Did it Live!"

I watched the recap of the parade on CSPAN's website - all of the
bands sounded pretty good to me, and I was impressed with the audio
quality. (The Rose Parade coverage this year was horrible by
comparison.)

The next day at the Interfaith Prayer Service, Wintley Phipps did a
great version of "Amazing Grace" - I just looked for it on YouTube and
found this interesting version Phipps did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMF_24cQqT0  with a very interesting
historical introduction.
http://www.youtube.com/v/mFQzVaHmgm8  is from the Interfaith Prayer
Service.  Very powerful!