[Dixielandjazz] Recorded v Live

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 14:44:05 PST 2009

> "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote
>
> I suspected as much.  Playing under those conditions would certainly
> be
> brutal.
>
> I was wondering about the horn players, playing in 20 degree temp.

That's why I posted it Bob. I watched them performing in just suit
jackets, outside in 20 degree weather and not appearing even slightly
stressed. Plus the pianist, was in a dress, or maybe a pant suit with
open neck and cleavage showing. No coats, hats or mufflers anywhere to
be seen except on the audience.

I said to my wife at the time that they couldn't possibly be playing
into a live feed and that Yo Yo Ma's Cello did not appear to be either
the Strad, or the Montagnana (both 18th century)  he would normally
use in concert, ditto for Perlman's violin. It was not one of the
usual Strad or Guarnieri, 18th century, instruments he normally plays.

No doubt the tuning would have been a problem as well as the execution
in that kind of weather. And if I owned a Strad, I sure as hell
wouldn't play it outside in that weather either

I think is was very wise to pre record the music under better
circumstances. No doubt the weather would have ruined a live
performance.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband