[Dixielandjazz] FW: Jazz Jam Ophicleide!

James O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Mon Jan 19 22:59:40 PST 2009

Dave Richoux wrote:

> A "West Coast Ophicleide Jazz Trio" is totally
> theoretical at this point ...

That's a scary thought.

> - they are really difficult instruments to master.

Amen. The fingerings have no sensible pattern to them, the way
flute, clarinet and sax fingerings do.

> ... Jim O'Briant told me he was getting pretty good with his a
few
> years ago, but I have not heard him play it lately.

I've found that with the Ophicleide, more so than with other
instruments, if you don't play it regularly you get rustier,
faster.  The last time Tony Clements did the San Jose Christmas
TubaFest, I played Ophicleide for most of it, but that was 3-4
years ago.  About the same time I arranged Karl L. King's "A Night
In June" for Ophicleide and Brass Band, and we performed that a
few times, but until last week my Ophicleide hadn't seen the light
of day for more than a year.

I was tempted to take it to the AFCDJS jazz camp, but since I was
playing trombone rather than tuba this year, I figured I didn't
need the distraction....

Jim O'Briant
	Tuba
	Trombone