[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and classical

Jerry Brown jazzjerry at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 17 06:11:08 PST 2009

Your connection between Dule Ellington and Andrew Lloyd Webber is interesting to say the least!

I can't work out if by making the suggestion you are attempting to insult the Duke by connecting him to a third rate popular composer of one or two tunes (Let's face it once you've heard one ALW tune you have heard them all!) or are suggesting that the Duke only wrote one or two tunes.

Alternatively are you suggesting that ALW steals many of his compositions which is an allegation often laid at Ellington's door?

Allowing ALW into this esteemed company of composers is like coupling George and Ira Gershwin with Don Covay and John Berry. (This pair composed the masterpiece 'Gilee' which reached No.82 in the US charts in 1959)

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.