[Dixielandjazz] Jazz and classical

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Fri Jan 16 23:32:04 PST 2009

Hello Nancy

The Jelly Roll Morton - Beethoven connection is fairly straight-forward
- both were composers of extreme greatness and both wrote piano music
which is inherently orchestral in feeling.

I offered the Armstrong - Paganini connection as a bit of devilishness.
After the 1920s Armstrong was a magnificent player but was he a great
jazzman? If that doesn't provoke, I don't know what will  :-)

As to Mozart, the Benny Goodman connection comes to mind immediately.
Even today, Goodman's recording of the Clarinet Quintet is a
"contender". In terms of feeling, however, I'd offer Omer Simeon.

And others?

Red Nichols - Brahms
Duke Ellington - Andrew Lloyd Webber
Stan Kenton - Bruckner