[Dixielandjazz] Hines Broadcasts

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 17:32:45 PST 2009

Hi Robert et al,

Thanks for the confirmation about McShann listening to the Hines broadcasts in your mammoth posting. I've got a distant memory of reading that story, possibly in 'Swing to Bop'. You're right too about Budd Johnson: a most wonderful and influential (if unsung) player. Great arranger too.

You mention Peerie Willie Johnson. I never played with him, but heard him playing in a pub in Lerwick when I was in the Shetland Islands to do some gigs about 25 years ago. The hospitality and fun in the pub were great, so I don't have a very clear recollection of his playing!

You're also correct about Bechet being important in the development of early reed playing, and possibly more importantly, in the development of the jazz time feel usually attributed solely to Louis Armstrong. Certainly on the records Louis and Bechet made together in 1923, they were both swinging with the same 4 in the bar time feel. At that time, nobody else on record seemed to play that way, although there may have been others who never recorded, like Buddy Petit, who may have had a similar time feel, but we'll never know unless that time machine can be invented soon.

Robert's post also refers to "a supermarket that Ken and I frequent." I would like to point out that I am seking to make my supermarket visits less frequent!

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson
www.classicjazzorchestra.org.uk