[Dixielandjazz] Other Trips On a Time Machine

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Wed Jan 14 11:56:34 PST 2009

Don Ingle wrote:
> My ideal time machine would take me to thee Graystone Ballroom inb
> 1926-27 to hear te Gene Goldkette band when theey played one of their
> sizzling hot numbers like My Pretty Gal, or the sound of Bix's cornet
> taking the solo on Clementine. T
I have to agree with those who would like to hear the Goldkette band at
it's best. If I had a time machine, though, I would have to seriously
consider paying  attention to the bands that everybody talks about but
almost nobody recorded: Speed Webb and Peck Kelly come to mind. Then, of
course, there is Emmett Hardy, second only to Buddy Bolden as an
enigmatic well-spring of jazz as we know it. Can you imagine sitting in
on a duet between Emmett and Bix?

Steve Holzer