[Dixielandjazz] Making Love To The Audience

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 13 14:27:48 PST 2009

Reading all the recent posts, I must as a lurker, interject.

I grew up in the swing / sweet era.. One of the comments regarding dancing during that time was" Vertical movements for a horizontal desire" . If you saw the young dancers responding to the sweet bands music, the members of the band  also returned to the auidence, their means of playing as sexy as possible, At the end of a dance the last two or three tunes were the ones that were usually the most critical between the the two dancers., will she . won't she, will he ????

As one who began dancing with older women, who were 17 / 18 ,  I can remember some of those last tunes.. The young lady resting her head on my shoulder and holding tight., some times , as Pinetop Smith said , "Dancing on a dime". Not much progress on the dance floor, but !

I agree in part with Steve and Larry, each has his own means of expressing his approach to creating  mood, How many times has the leader announced to the dancers, " Get your Best Guy or Gal,  , thanks for being here, and other complimentary comments , this our last set. ". Then turns to the band and they close with some of the more sensual music of the era.  Who made it sensual, the Dancers ?? The musician, who sensed what the dancers wanted ?? The writer, who through his selection  of notes, chords, tempo, possibly the lyrics created a mood..

Swing and sway with Sammy Kaye, Swing and sweat with Charlie Barnett

The lyrics in the 20s and 30s music has always caused me to ponder, did my parents get the same reaction to "I want to make love to you",  and other similar comments, that i did  in the 30s and 40s.??

I think the arguments at most are specious, every musician has his own view of how he reacts to the audience, and as one of the audience, how do I react to the music being  put down.

My late Lady Friend, found the sounds of Frank Sinatra and his backing bands , very condusive to tight dancing and pleasurable moments.

Keep it up Larry and Steve, you each have a unique way of expressing how to captivate an audience

Slainte

Eichy da

Ed