[Dixielandjazz] Audiences

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Jan 13 10:51:03 PST 2009

Jim Kash wrote:

(snip)
1.  the band is hot, the audience is less so.....
2.  the audience is hot, the band is less so....
3.  both band & audience are hot......
Any one of those 3 variations of ambience can be affected by:
a.  a table or two that are hip........these can set off a chain reaction,
and bring the whole club around
b.  a table or two who couldn't give a damn.....these can be difficult to
bring around, even using all the tricks learned after more than 50 yrs of
performing.
Number 1 happens, and is mainly the cause of the lack of "a.", and the
overabundance of "b.".
Number 2 doesn't happen often, but it can happen.  Reason is hard to spot.,
but I find it upsetting (to me)
Number 3 happens, and there is no obvious reason for it, except maybe the
lack "b.".  It's when the magic happens.  Yes, the audience does have an
effect on the band.  It IS a magic moment.
(snip)

Jim, you forgot #4, the moon.

I have not worked steady in a night club for 25 years.  Before that I made
my living playing music, sometimes 7-nights a week plus cocktail hours,
lunch hours, etc.  I scrambled for every gig in order to support a wife,
3-kids and two girlfriends...  I do occasional gigs now in clubs but nothing
steady.

I don't know how the young bartenders and waitresses see it now.  But years
ago I used to be able to tell you when it was a full moon, just by the
audience's demeanor.

Back then most of the pro (old-time) bartenders and waitresses also agreed
on the full moon theory.

I remember many times, getting off the band stand and saying must be a full
moon.  Sure enough, we'd check outside and it was.

This full moon thing was most apparent when you worked steady, 5 or 6 nights
a week  in a club.  You got the feel of the place, and knew immediately when
there was any changes.

Of course you'd also know that every night was different.  Never two nights
the same.

I wonder if any other steady working musicians ever noticed this phenomenon?

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Note new e-mail address rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our new CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

"Marriage is a relationship, in which one person is always right,
and the other is usually the husband."