[Dixielandjazz] Making Love to the Audience

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 16:22:28 PST 2009

Sorry Jim, I cannot leave it there when you quote me out of context,
and attempt to spin what I said to your liking.  Besides, as the one
challenged, I should have last word, no? <grin>

> "Jim Kashishian" <jim at kashprod.com> wrote full context
>
> Steve wrote:
>> My statement (Barbone's) about "Making love to the audience"
>> contains no
> sexual overtones unless folks choose to read something into it of
> their own
> volition.
>
> What does "making love" mean then?  This is sounding like a
> Clintonian view
> on the subject!
>
> Steve goes on to say:
>> Can you not see the irony of your statement about sexual overtones
>> that
> apparently are offensive to you,
>
> Ha!  I wish the guys in my band could read that.  They certainly
> wouldn't
> believe that I would be offended by such things.   :>
>
> Your original statement was: "musicians are egotistical. We are
> making love
> to the audience."
> You say it is "simply a figure of speech".  I say it is a poorly
> chosen
> figure of speech. And, since it includes musicians in general, as
> some sort
> of swooping statement, I felt the necessity to challenge it.
>
> I think we have now both expressed our sides of the argument, so
> let's leave
> it there, please.

Jim, what I wrote in full context was:

3) "Like it or not, musicians are egotistical. We are making love to
the audience. If there is no audience we are making love to
ourselves.  Kenny Davern put it into perspective in an oft repeated
quote; "For me (Davern) recording in studio is masturbatory. This
leads to #4 below:

4) "Musicians feed off the energy the audience imparts. We play better
when the crowd responds. we are more inventive, we challenge ourselves
etc. We love the effect audience energy has on our brains BTW, that's
why some musicians will play for very low wages, or even pay to play.
(Spend their money to travel 100 miles to play free) We could just as
easily play as often as we want in rehearsals in a garage and be
better off financially for it, but we crave audience validation."

Now if you feel it necessary to correct my American writing, of one
sentence out of the many above and tell me it is poorly chosen, by all
means do so. But say what you mean in the beginning instead of 4
emails later, (as you finally do above while adding a new charge of
generalization).

And please, do not quote a tiny snip out of context and make a big
thing about it. That's simply a tactic that some people use when they
simply want to pick nits and distort the issue. Read and understand it
in context, then if you have a problem, do a "polite snip", which in
this case would be to quote #3 and #4 above,  retain the meaning in
context,  then challenge the sentence and/or generalization. I would
happily add "most"  between "not", and "musicians" in #3 above. But I
must admit that I have trouble believing that most people do not
understand what I said in context above.

If on the other hand you choose not to understand what I said as you
do in this e-mail asking; "What does 'Making Love' (to the audience)
mean?"  Look inward. You obviously know the answer. You described it
perfectly in your tome about your audience in Madrid.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband