[Dixielandjazz] Getting paid.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jan 10 19:48:06 PST 2009

Well it happened.  One of the senior homes didn't pay me.  I worked for them about six months ago and I didn't think they paid me.  Unfortunately my wife died about that time and my books were in disarray.  I called the activities director and she assured me that I had been paid.  I looked in vain for the deposit but I just couldn't come up with that.

I took another gig with them in November and I asked for my check and the ADir said it would be mailed - No check so far.

I sent their book keeping department invoices and a past due letter to see what happens.

I'm wondering if there is really any recourse for me.  The amount is not big enough to hire a lawyer and I'm not sure if I can take a corporation to small claims court and even if I get a favorable verdict how do I get them to pay.

I can hurt them a little by telling everyone who performs in these venues to avoid them.  I'm no longer in the union but that would have been a waste of time to even bring it up with them.

Fortunately I played this as a single so I'm not out bucks for the other musicians.  I have always made a point out of paying my musicians even if I get stiffed or anything else happens regarding pay.  If you don't pay your Indians you don't have any business being chief.

I realize that this was my own fault but this is unusual and I've never had a problem with a corporation before.  I imagine that they may not be paying their other suppliers either if they aren't paying me.

I did get a report from another musician that said that they may not have gotten paid by them either for a job in the past.

Any ideas?
Larry
StL