[Dixielandjazz] Sid Catlett

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 9 09:09:51 PST 2009

Sending this from the Statendam Holland America Jazz Sea Cruise.

Sid Catlett was also Dick Cary's favorite drummer.

Have you heard Dick Cary's clam on Jada on I think it was Jamin' At
Condon's.

He goes for a high note and hits a clam.

The whole recording is great so they left it in.  After the clam, Condon
says "That's OK Dick.  We'll send you back to Lake Placid."

Lake Placid was where Dick was stationed in the service at the time.

Dick told me that of all the hundreds of recordings and thousands of
concerts, that one note is what he always hears about.

I am sure he would have preferred that the clam did not get on the
recording.

I am sure that at the time, the note could not have been taken out.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
Note new e-mail address rsr at ringwald.com
530/642-9551
916/806-9551 Cell
www.ringwald.com
Fulton Street Jazz Band

Hear our new CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

"Marriage is a relationship, in which one person is always right,
and the other is usually the husband."