[Dixielandjazz] Live Verses Studio Recording

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jan 9 08:44:09 PST 2009

Kash wrote:

(snip)
In the studio, the customary positioning of a jazz ensemble is in a close
circle, or positioned as though on a stage, and not using earphones if
possible.  The idea is to create a live feel for the musicians, so they can
hear each other as they do on stage.
(snip)

For me, I like to use earphones during recording.

however this is unique for me I'm sure.

I am a ham radio operator and always use earphones.  Thus I am used to them.

Also, being blind, I am not relying on visual cues.  I always rely on
listening.  Thus having the musicians an inch from my ears really tighten up
the band and especially the rhythm section.

In this, I am not disagreeing with anyone, surprise surprise, for a change.
I am just explaining how I like to record.

By the same token, I hate it when on stage playing a grand piano and they
set it up so that I am facing the band.  With a 9-foot concert grand, the
band starts about 11 foot from me and stretch out to 20 or 25 feet.  For me
that is a real drag.

--Bob Ringwald
Fulton Street jazz Band

Hear our new CD at:
www.fultonstreetjazz.com/music.htm

"Marriage is a relationship, in which one person is always right,
and the other is usually the husband."