[Dixielandjazz] Jon Erik Kellso & Friends

Thad McArthur wthadmc at whidbey.com
Fri Jan 9 13:11:12 PST 2009

These very fine musicians indulged themselves on I'll See You in My Dreams
for 8+ minutes, but did very little to find anything in that great tune to
evoke the magic that has made it the classic that it is.  If they played
like that at the Landing in San Antonio, the place would have closed 25
years ago.   I particularly like Howard Alden and Evan Christopher.  I
plugged into an adjacent cut on U-Tube to check whether my soul was asleep,
Howard and George Van Eps doing Night and Day,  they made more  MUSIC  in
one chorus than  your cited cut delivered in the 8+ minutes.  When we bemoan
the possible future of OKOM this may be something that should be looked at.
The tune itself enables the LISTENER to bring something to the performance.
This coupled with fine, creative, appropriate musicianship makes the
occasion soar,  for the listener who pays the bills.      Thad McArthur